Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Prayer of a Doubter

I found a book of prayers called Guerrillas of Grace: Prayers for the Battle written by Ted Loder.  Some of them fit, like this one and a bit more added itself at the end.

God... Are You There?

God...are you there?
I've been taught,
    and told I ought
        to pray.
But the doubt
    won't go away;
yet neither
    will my longing to be heard.
My soul sighs
    too deep for words.
Do you hear me?
God...are you there?

Are you where love is?
I don't love well,
   or often,
        anything
              or anyone.
But, when I do,
     when I take the risk,
there's a sudden awareness
     of all that I've missed;
and it's good,
    it's singing good.
For a moment
    life seems as it should,
But, I forget, so busy soon,
   that it was,
         or what
               or whom.
Help me!
God...are you there?

The real question is,
God are you there, listening to me? 
    Do you hear what I would say, if I could?
I can't even think a prayer.
    My eyes dart to and fro, my heart pounds,
         all coherent thought is gone.
              Only fear is left.
Not much of a prayer, but it's all I have.
God, do you hear that...prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to join the conversation with me, myself and I. ;)
I'm planning being more consistent in my blogging, so I'll actually be around to converse with.